Now that summer is here, its becoming very difficult without Air Conditioning systems right?
But do you know that the temperature of the earth has increased by 0.56 deg centigrade in the last century. This increase is mainly due to increased volumes of carbon dioxide and other green house gases in the atmosphere due to excessive burning of fossil fuels.
Air conditioners (AC’s) require lot of energy to operate. Since most of the energy is currently generated by coal-based power plants, we are adding more of these greenhouse gases to the atmosphere by using AC’s to cool our houses.
So here we are giving you some effective and low cost tips that will help you not only in reducing the temperature but also in saving your money.
Low Cost Methods to Decrease Temperature Inside Homes in Summer
A. Incase your House Construction Work is In Progress
- All rooms are to be well ventilated well. Ensure windows are placed on two walls for cross ventilation (avoid window on south and west) with weather shades(chajjas)
- If possible, go for greater ceiling heights (11′- 11.5′) as compared to normal 10′ height ceiling.
- Use bricks/blocks that have higher insulation like Autoclaved Aerated concrete block (AAC), Cellular light Weight concrete block for masonry works
- Use Gypsum plaster for Internal Plastering (dry areas)
- Use Top hung windows. Top hung windows act both as a ventilation and a weather shade (chajja) thus reducing heat
B. Incase your House Construction Is Already Completed
- Coat top terrace slab, parapet and external walls with heat reflective paints.
- Grow Potted plants on top terrace
- If the slab above you is terrace slab, the go for False ceiling. The drop between false ceiling and the slab acts as an insulation layer and wouldn’t let the heat pass through
- Try replacing your windows with top hung windows
- If you are living on the top floor, then fix Polyurethane Foam sheet to the ceiling.
- Plant trees on south and west side (within 20′ – 40′ from outer wall). The shade at different points in a day produced will give good energy savings.